Saturday’s practice “play day” at The Dirtplex at Gateway Motorsports Park has been cancelled and will not be rescheduled. Extremely wet weather has prevented track crews from preparing the all-dirt track.
The UTV Off-Road Rumble on June 4 will be the first of two UTV races held at the Dirtplex in 2016. A UTV is a “utility task vehicle” and popular brands for racing include Can-Am, Polaris, Yamaha and Kymco.
“Fun and friendly-for-all” classes will include 1000cc Unlimited (turbochargers allowed), 900cc & 1000cc, 800cc-And-Below and Pee Wee (170cc limit for kids 13 and under).
Each of the four classes will compete in at least two heat races, a Last-Chance Race and an A-Feature.
The Dirtplex track is wide, allowing for true side-by-side racing with a divided track (driver must choose a lane while racing) in certain sections.
UTV Off-Road Rumble June 4 schedule:
11 a.m. — Pit gate opens.
Noon — Spectator gates open.
1 p.m. — 800cc hot laps.
1:15 p.m. — 900cc & 1000cc hot laps.
1:30 p.m. — 1000cc Unlimited hot laps.
1: 45 p.m. — Pee Wee hot laps.
2 p.m. — Opening ceremonies.
2:15 p.m. – First 800cc heat race.
2:25 p.m. – Second 800cc heat race.
2:35 p.m. – Third 800cc heat race (if necessary).
2:45 p.m. – First 900cc & 1000cc heat race.
2:55 p.m. – Second 900cc & 1000cc heat race.
3:05 p.m. – Third 900cc & 1000cc heat race (if necessary).
3:15 p.m. – First 1000cc Unlimited heat race.
3:25 p.m. – Second 1000cc Unlimited heat race.
3:35 p.m. – Third 1000cc Unlimited heat race (if necessary).
3:45 p.m. – First Pee Wee heat race.
3:55 p.m. – Second Pee Wee heat race.
4:05 p.m. — Track work, intermission.
4:15 p.m. — 800cc Last-Chance Qualifier.
4:25 p.m. — 900cc & 1000 cc Last-Chance Qualifier.
4:35 p.m. — 1000cc Unlimited Last-Chance Qualifier.
4:45 p.m. — Pee Wee Last-Chance Qualifier.
5 p.m. — 800cc A-Feature, followed by victory lane ceremonies.
5:30 p.m. — 900cc & 1000cc A-Feature, followed by victory lane ceremonies.
6 p.m. — 1000cc Unlimited A-Feature, followed by victory lane ceremonies.
6:30 p.m. — Pee Wee A-Feature, followed by victory lane ceremonies.
7 p.m. – Track closed.
Schedule is tentative and subject to change.
Entry fees and admission:
Entry fee: $40 (includes driver’s pit pass).
Pit pass: $25.
Adult grandstand: $15.
Kids 15 and under in grandstand seating: Free.
For competitors and entrants:
The race program will be run under GMP rules.
- All vehicles must be production-based vehicles. Turbos allowed only in the Unlimited class.
- Full-face helmet, goggles, face shield required.
- Doors or factory nets. Driver window nets are recommended but not required.
- All participants must wear long pants, long-sleeved shirts, and closed-toed shoes. Firesuits are recommended but not mandatory.
- Stock roll cage is okay for all classes. All vehicles must have doors or factory-installed nets. Altered cages must have doors. If doors open they must be secured with zip ties, hose clamps or something similar so they do not open while racing.
- Fire extinguisher: minimum 2 ½ lb., accessible to the outside.
- Number plates, minimum of six inches wide and 12 inches tall, required. One on each side and one on the rear. Number must be legible and in a high-contrast color to be scored.
- Must have stock seat belts at the minimum. Four-point or five-point harness mandatory for 1000CC class and Unlimited class — and preferred for all classes.
- The decision of the technical inspectors is final. If your vehicle is deemed unsafe it will not be eligible to race. Entry fee, less the amount of the price of a pit pass, will be refunded.
- Tech inspections are mandatory before entry is allowed to practice or race.
- Class consists of a minimum of four entries.
- No intentional crashing. This is a race and not a demolition derby. If officials determine you have intentionally taken out a fellow competitor you will be black-flagged and removed from competition for the rest of the event.
- Competitors must be 14 years of age or older to compete in all classes 800cc and above.
- Pee Wee class 170cc, for ages 13 and under.